Anson’s American Treasures: While on the set directing Melrose Place, I met Joanna Connell, a top makeup artist, whose clients include Madonna and Tom Cruise. JoAnna is also a well-known skincare expert, creating special products for some of the most famous faces in the world. Together, we took her formulas and started our successful company, Starmaker Products. Joanna made sure always to introduce me to new and healthy salads that the caterer would whip up for lunch. One of my favorites is this fabulous Spinach and Pear Salad. The hearty spinach and sliced pear balance each other perfectly. Red onion adds a bit of spice, walnuts add crunch, and crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, well, that’s just delicious.
- 1 (6-ounce) bag fresh spinach leaves
- 1 medium pear, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Place the spinach leaves in a large salad bowl, or split evenly into serving bowls.
- Top the spinach with the pear slices, red onion, Gorgonzola cheese, and walnuts.
- Serve alongside the Raspberry Vinaigrette, page 246, or a dressing of your choice.
HELPFUL TIP: Regular or baby spinach leaves can be used, although baby spinach is typically preferred in salads, as it contains more moisture and is slightly more tender when eaten raw.