Anson’s American Treasures: Happy days are here again! Want it your way? Well you’re in luck. Whether you want a 100 calorie slider, a grilled quarter-pound beef burger on white, or a pan-fried turkey burger on wheat, this recipe allows you to pick and choose exactly what you want for the calories you’d like to allocate. We’ve even included the calorie counts for all of your favorite toppings!
- 2 ½ ounces (93%) lean ground beef slider patty (100 calories)
- Salt and pepper
¼ Pound Patties:
- 4 ounces 93% lean ground beef (165 calories)
- 4 ounces 85% ground beef (200 calories)
- 4 ounces 99% extra-lean ground turkey (120 calories)
- 4 ounces 93% lean ground turkey (175 calories)
- Slider bun (90 calories)
- Hamburger bun (120 calories)
- Light wheat bun (80 calories)
- See below
- Form your burger patties, and flatten to ½ inch thick. Generously season patties with salt and pepper.
- Using nonstick cooking spray to grease the grill or pan, grill or pan-fry burgers for about 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare, 4 minutes on each side for medium, and 5 minutes on each side for medium-well. When in doubt, cut into a burger to test for doneness.
- If adding cheese, top the burger with the cheese in the last minute of cooking, and cover the pan or close the lid of the grill to melt the cheese. Let burgers rest for 3 minutes before serving topped with your chosen toppings.
HELPFUL TIP: For an even lower-calorie option, serve your burger and toppings over a bed of lettuce (instead of a bun) as a diner-style hamburger and salad plate.
¼ cup sautéed mushrooms or onions (15 calories)
Lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles (5 calories or less)
1⁄5 medium avocado (50 calories)
1 slice American cheese (70 calories)
1 slice Cheddar or Swiss cheese (80 calories)
2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese (70 calories)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise (90 calories)
1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise (35 calories)
1 tablespoon ketchup (15 calories)
1 tablespoon mustard (5 calories)
1 tablespoon Thousand Island dressing (70 calories)
2 slices cooked bacon (90 calories)
2 slices cooked turkey bacon (50 calories)