Forget about sticky sweet glazes. These carrots are cooked with honey and brown sugar to coat them in a light glaze. Butter, lemon juice, and nutmeg help offset the sweetness, ensuring that these carrots will pair with any entrée.
Author: The Perfect Portion
Recipe type: Sides
Makes: 6 Side dish portions
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch-thick discs
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Place the carrots in a sauce pot over high heat, and cover with water. Add ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 7–10 minutes, or until carrots are fork-tender. Drain well.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, honey, lemon juice, nutmeg, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt to a sauté pan over medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until butter is melted and sugar has dissolved.
- Add the carrots to the sauté pan and fold into the sauce. Continue cooking for 2–3 minutes, or until carrots are well coated and the glaze has thickened. Top with chopped parsley before serving.
HELPFUL TIP: You can also use 1 pound of baby carrots in this recipe in place of sliced carrots. For thicker baby carrots, you may need to boil for 2–3 minutes longer in step 1 to ensure that they are fork-tender.
Serving size: ½ cup Calories: 100