This crowd-pleasing recipe has it all, vegetables, protein, some rice, and rich cheese flavor. We opt for lean white meat but infuse rich chicken flavor throughout by simmering the rice in the chicken broth.
Chicken, Broccoli & Rice Casserole
Author: The Perfect Portion
Recipe type: Casseroles & One-Pot Meals
Makes: 10 Lunch or 8 Dinner portions
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups uncooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ pounds chicken tenderloins, chopped
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size sauce pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 15–20 minutes, just until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the pot, and sauté for 5 minutes, browning well on all sides. Add the diced onion to the pot, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir the flour into the pot, coating the chicken and onions, and let cook for 1 minute.
- Stir the milk, salt, white pepper, and onion powder into the pot, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and stir in the broccoli, 1 cup Cheddar cheese, and cooked rice. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, and top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until cheese has melted and sauce is bubbly hot. Let cool for 7 minutes before serving. For 100 calorie portions, slice into 32 sections by cutting 4 rows by 8 rows.
Serving size: 1/32 casserole Calories: 100