In this recipe, Brussels sprouts gain a sweet, almost nutty flavor when roasted in a high-temperature oven. First, tossing them with balsamic vinegar and a touch of brown sugar enhances their flavor and helps the sprouts caramelize even more. The sprouts will continue to crisp as they cook so roast until very deep brown.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss Brussels sprouts in all of the remaining ingredients, until well coated.
- Spread the coated Brussels sprouts on a sheet pan in a single layer, and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Sprouts are done when well caramelized and fork-tender.
Helpful Tip: Brussels sprouts can vary in size quite a bit. If you have a few sprouts that are larger than the others, to cut those into quarters to ensure that they cook through as quickly as the smaller, halved sprouts.