For our take on this classic picnic side, we use a combination of mayonnaise and Greek yogurt to deliver a creamy salad with far fewer calories than using mayonnaise alone. Then we really punch up the flavor with celery, red bell pepper, sweet relish, mustard, and celery salt, in place of ordinary salt.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- ¾ cup diced celery
- ⅓ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 6 ounces plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water before adding to a large mixing bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl, and fold together until all is well combined.
- Cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
HELPFUL TIP: For the perfect macaroni consistency, cook the pasta 1 minute less than you normally would, testing to see that it is just slightly more al dente than you prefer. The mustard and vinegar will continue cooking the pasta as it chills in the fridge, letting the dressing actually absorb into the macaroni itself.