Whether you prepare this ultra-simple side dish from fresh or frozen broccoli (directions are provided for either choice), you are sure to produce a nutritious addition to any meal. While you’ll get a good amount of vitamin C from the lemon in this recipe, surprisingly, broccoli actually contains more vitamin C than citrus!
- 16 ounces broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced pimentos
- If using fresh broccoli florets, place a pot of water over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Boil the fresh broccoli for 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. If using frozen broccoli florets, cover, and microwave for 1–2 minutes, just until thawed.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the prepared broccoli florets, minced garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, brown sugar, salt, and pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring only occasionally to let the broccoli brown slightly.
- Remove from heat and stir in diced pimentos before serving.
HELPFUL TIP: Many stores sell fresh broccoli florets that you can microwave to steam right in the bag, allowing you to skip straight to step 3. Microwave for 90 seconds less than the package directions to ensure the broccoli doesn’t overcook as you sauté.