Bob’s Farm to Table: Carrot cake is my perfect comfort food dessert. This delicious dessert bar is ultra moist with a rich presence of comforting, warm spices. Applesauce works as a perfect substitute for a portion of the oil by adding moisture and no grease. Top with a coating of cream cheese frosting.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and spray an 11 x 15-inch half-sheet cake or jellyroll pan with nonstick cooking spray. For easier release, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, carrots, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 25–30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by putting all the frosting ingredients in an electric mixer and beating until smooth and creamy.
- For 100 calorie bars, cut the cake into 6 rows by 6 rows to make 36 bars.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting on each bar before serving (this looks better if done after cutting the cake).
8 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 ¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon lemon juice
HELPFUL TIP: For the best presentation, use a pastry bag to pipe a large dot of the frosting in the center of each bar, rather than spreading a thin layer.