These baked egg cups taste like a ham, egg, and cheese breakfast take-out sandwich, only without the bread. Baked in muffin cups, they make an easy grab-and-go breakfast that you can prepare in advance and warm in the microwave before serving—though they are best fresh from the oven with slightly runny yolks.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ⅛ pound (2 ounces) thinly sliced lean deli ham
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and spray 4 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place a thin slice of ham into each prepared muffin cup, and press the ham against the sides of the cups to follow the natural shape of the pan.
- Sprinkle ½ tablespoon of green onions into each lined cup, and then crack a fresh egg over the top of the ham and onions in each.
- Lightly season each egg with salt and pepper, and then bake for 10 minutes.
- Top each egg with a light sprinkling of Cheddar cheese, and return to the oven to bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until whites are firm and cheese has melted. Serve garnished with additional sliced green onions, if desired.
HELPFUL TIP: Thinly sliced ham is essential, as thicker ham will not form to the shape of the muffin cups. For larger ovals of sliced deli ham, you may need to cut each slice into four pieces and overlap the pieces to fit into the muffin cups.