Fried sweet potato wedges have become a popular alternative to their starchy counterpart, but we turn to the grill for a new twist. A little oil and the high heat of the grill produces the same crisp, golden exterior and creamy interior without the deep-frying! And a final dusting of mildly sweet seasoned salt knocks these wedges out of the park.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, and then slice each half into 5 long wedges.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Toss the potato wedges in olive oil before placing on the grill horizontally (to prevent them from falling through the grate). Grill for 8–10 minutes, turning halfway through. Wedges are done when they easily bend with pressure from your grilling tongs.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, seasoning salt, cinnamon, and smoked paprika, if desired. Sprinkle evenly over the grilled wedges before serving.
HELPFUL TIP: Smoked paprika adds a great flavor to the sweet potato wedges that is reminiscent of barbecue potato chips. If you do not have any on hand, or are not a fan of that smoky flavor, you can simply omit it.