Bob’s Farm to Table: Our loaded quesadillas are a meal all their own. Serve this winning combination of gooey cheese, chicken, sautéed onions, and bell peppers with our Restaurant-Style Salsa (see page 209) or Fresh Guacamole (see page 206) to really knock it out of the park.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken
- breasts, sliced into strips
- ¾ cup sliced yellow onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 (10-inch) whole-wheat or multigrain flour tortillas
- ¾ cup shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and place over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the skillet, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, lime juice, chili powder, salt, and pepper to the skillet, and sauté for 5 minutes, or until peppers are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Lay out 4 flour tortillas, and sprinkle ½ side of each with 1 ½ tablespoons of the cheese, leaving the other side of the tortillas clean (to fold over).
- Spoon ¼ of the chicken and vegetables onto each flour tortilla and top with an equal amount of the remaining cheese. Fold each tortilla closed to create the quesadillas.
- Spray a clean skillet or griddle with nonstick cooking spray, and place over medium heat.
- Cook each quesadilla in the prepared skillet for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown on the outside with melted cheese on the inside.
HELPFUL TIP: When shopping for flour tortillas, brands that are labeled as “high fiber” tend to not only contain more whole grains but are also usually as much as 30 percent lower in calories.