Bob’s Farm to Table: Move over mashed potatoes! Smashed cauliflower is a low-calorie and low-carbohydrate alternative that looks and tastes a whole lot like your standard mashed spud. Like potatoes, cauliflower loves to soak up the flavor of other ingredients, so the secret is to season the smash just as you would season your mash. Say that five times fast!
- 24 ounces frozen cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, cover, and microwave cauliflower for 3 minutes, just until warmed throughout.
- Add the warmed cauliflower, sour cream, milk, Parmesan cheese, butter, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper to the bowl of a food processor, and process until almost entirely smooth.
- Return to the microwave-safe bowl, cover, and microwave for 2 minutes, or until hot. Stir in the chopped chives, and serve.
HELPFUL TIP: This can also be made with an average-sized head of fresh cauliflower, cut into florets and steamed until very tender, 8–10 minutes. Drain well, and pat dry with paper towels before proceeding to step 2 of the recipe.