Anson’s American Treasures: Ahh…a warm, crispy grilled cheese sandwich reminds me of my childhood best friend Jeff Schredder who lived two doors away. His mom Lillian made the best grilled cheese ever. She took care in making them, from spreading the butter to getting the perfect flame on the stove. Gooey and buttery every time. Bob and Mona want to share their love of grilled cheese with you, too. By combining Cheddar and ultra-creamy American, they produced the perfect balance of flavor and texture ever. This recipe is filled with love and comfort.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 slices light white bread
- 3 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 slice American cheese
- Heat 2 teaspoons of butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, just until
- Place the 2 slices of white bread in the skillet to butter both slices at the same time. Remove 1 slice and set aside.
- Sprinkle the Cheddar cheese over the bread in the skillet, and then top with the American cheese.
- Place the reserved slice of buttered bread, buttered side up, over the top of the cheeses to make a complete sandwich.
- Let cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown on the outside with melted cheese on the inside.
HELPFUL TIP: Light bread is sold in loaves in the normal bread aisle. It usually contains only 40–45 calories per slice and far more fiber than ordinary white bread.