Cooking doesn’t get more simple or satisfying than this. We layer slices of sweet tomatoes, creamy fresh mozzarella, and basil for a fantastic looking and tasting snack or appetizer. Use different colors of heirloom tomatoes for variety.
Caprese Salad Stacks
Author: The Perfect Portion
Recipe type: Satisfying Snacks
Makes: 8 Snack portions
- 2 heirloom tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 8 (1-ounce) slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 16 leaves fresh basil
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- Slice ends off tomatoes, and discard before slicing each into 8 equal slices.
- Season all sliced tomatoes with a light sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Halve each slice of fresh mozzarella cheese to make 16 half-moon-shaped pieces.
- Assemble the “stacks” by topping a slice of tomato with a piece of mozzarella. Stick the stem of a basil leaf under the mozzarella to hold it in place.
- Make a second layer of tomato, mozzarella, and basil on top of the first. Repeat to make 8 double-layered stacks.
- Drizzle all with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar before serving.
HELPFUL TIP: This is also great as an appetizer. Lean the second layer of ingredients on a slight bias to create a “leaning tower” of tomato, rather than simply stacking the ingredients straight up.
Serving size: 1 stack Calories: 100