Fresh popcorn is a fantastic snack, because it provides great volume (2 cups for 100 calories!), great crunch, and endless flavors. As a whole grain, popcorn is a wonderful source of dietary fiber, but it’s also only as healthy as what you cook it in. We selected fruity, heart-conscious extra virgin olive oil for popping this simple, yet satisfying staple. Try different flavors to spice up your week!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- ½ teaspoon popcorn salt (see tip)
- Add the oil to a heavy 6-quart pot over medium-high heat.
- Allow the oil to heat for 1 minute before adding the popcorn kernels and covering immediately.
- Keep the pot covered, and let sit until you hear the first kernel pop. Once popcorn has begun to pop, shake the pot from side to side while still keeping it over the heat.
- When popping slows to 3–4 seconds between kernels, remove from heat, and shake for at least 10 more seconds before removing lid.
- Immediately transfer the popcorn to a large bowl. Season with salt or spice it up with suggested blends (see ingredients).
Cracked Pepper and Rosemary:
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
Garlic and Oregano:
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
HELPFUL TIP: Popcorn salt or “superfine salt” is recommended to better stick to the popcorn, but ordinary table salt can be used if it is the only salt you have on hand. You can also make your own popcorn salt by processing table salt in a spice grinder or small blender/food processor for 1 minute.