Anson’s American Treasures: You’ll be amazed by how much these pretzels taste like a steamy mug of hot cocoa, marshmallows and all! After a quick coating of egg white and vanilla, we toss the pretzels with cocoa and sugar and bake until crisp. It actually tastes like marshmallows! The pretzel, chocolate, and meringue flavors combine as the perfect balance between salty and sweet. This snack is sure to bring back great childhood memories and will definitely satisfy any chocolate craving!
- 100 mini pretzels (about 4 packed cups)
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 275°F, and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the pretzels in the egg white and vanilla extract until all are evenly coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and cocoa.
- Add ⅔ of the cocoa and sugar mixture to the pretzels, and toss until well coated.
- Spread the coated pretzels in a single layer on the paper-lined sheet pan, and sprinkle the remaining ⅓ of the cocoa and sugar mixture over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping pretzels halfway through. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
HELPFUL TIP: You can use either salted or unsalted mini pretzels in this recipe, but salted pretzels add a nice contrast to the sweet cocoa coating.